Spring is in the air here in Omaha and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The The Frazier Company team has some recommendations that will help keep your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home seem as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to correspond with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your amazing trip on social media, but try to hold off until after you are back to post photos of your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as excited about the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to cut back on energy while you’re out of town is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give The Frazier Company in Omaha a call at 402-628-0206.