According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear something other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have pests or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to reach out to The Frazier Company in Omaha about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the experts at The Frazier Company. Annual checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Checking your system often and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts clean.
Other ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and put in new filters when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Omaha home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at The Frazier Company at 402-628-0206 or schedule an appointment online.